Key business permits and licences in the province of Quebec
Learn about frequently required permits and licences for businesses operating in the province of Quebec. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list. For more information on required permits and licences, you can contact Canada Business.
Frequently required permits and licences
- Alcohol Permit: Categories available in French only
You must have a permit if you wish to serve or sell alcohol.
- Amusement equipment: Licences and stickers available in French only
Find information on the licence you need to own amusement equipment that generates income, such as the costs and forms required.
- Application for a construction contractor and owner builder licence available in French only
Learn about the rules and procedures to follow if you are a construction contractor or if you would like to carry out or oversee construction work undertaken on your own behalf.
- Film distributor's licence available in French only
Find out how to apply for a distributor's licence if you want to sell, rent, loan or trade copies of films in Quebec.
- Licence for Slaughterhouses and Meat Processing Plants available in French only
All operators of slaughterhouses and plants that process meat and meat-containing food items for wholesale must hold a MAPAQ permit.
- Mobile Shop Merchant’s Permit available in French only
To sign contracts or call upon customers in a location other than your own business, you must hold a mobile shop merchant's permit.
- Opening a day care service available in French only
Find out about the regulations and procedures you need to follow to open a child care service for more than six children.
- Opening a residence for the elderly available in French only
Find out about the regulations and procedures you need to follow to open a private residence for the elderly.
- Operating permit for movie screening available in French only
Find out how to obtain an operator's permit if you want to screen movies in a public place.
- Permit for restauration and the sale of food available in French only
You need a food permit to operate a restaurant or food retail business.
- Promotional contests (Quebec) available in French only
Find out about the regulations and procedures for holding a promotional contest for profit where the total value of the prizes to be awarded exceeds $100.
- Regulations for successive delivery service undertakings available in French only
Keep informed of the regulations and permits required to offer services or courses spread over several days or weeks in exchange for remuneration.
- Roadside signs available in French only
Find out about the legislation that governs roadside advertising and commercial signs.
- Seafood preparation or cannery permit available in French only
Find out how to obtain the required permit if you want to handle seafood for human consumption.
- Travel Agent Permit available in French only
If you are a travel agent or a retailer or wholesaler for the travel industry, you must hold an operating permit.
- Video equipment retailing permit available in French only
Find out about the regulations and permits you need to sell, rent, lend or trade video equipment.
- Date modified: